SONG OF THE OCARINA NOVEL AND
CD COVER DESIGN NOTES
Ann Narcisian Videan
March 11, 2014
The closer you follow all of the notes below, the more likely you are to win this cover contest. It's why I've included all this detail...
Title: Song of the Ocarina
Subtitle: Delfaerune Rhapsody Series: Book 1
Genre: young-adult fantasy
Theme: Music heals
Target market: 14 to 25-year-old nerds
• Three ancient musical instruments with special world-saving powers (an ocarina, a hand-held drum, and a zither)
• Glamour (aka magic in the human realm) which requires elemental energies and music to work
• Magical faefolk
• Mythical and extinct creatures live in Delfaerune (dragons, moa, phoenix's, +)
• Talking animals
Current-day Queenstown, New Zealand in the human realm, and its parallel plane for magical folk in the realm of Delfaerune known as Queens'tyn, Zealynd.
This is a story of good (Noble Fae) vs. evil (Dark Fae). The "Goodies" all have names based on nature (Lark, Noel, Glenn, B'rook, River). The "Rotters" are patterned after, and whose names allude to burned-out rock stars. (Mikk, Axyl, Kert, Janys)
My characters are very tall, magical fae. Not faeries as we know them in Disney lore. More like the elves or original Celtic fae. No pointy ears and no wings, please.
(see list at end, and please take note of the character descriptions)
• Book signings
• Fan art contests
• Karaoke signings
• Speaking at high schools
• Radio and TV talk shows
Lark, a New Zealand teen, discovers she's the musical prodigy in the realm of Delfaerune—the only Noble Fae with the musical prowess and Earth connection to save humans from destruction at the hands of Dark Fae magic.
Can Noel, her music teacher—and brother of the Dark Fae conspiracy leader, Mikk Stone—help her retrieve and master three ancient musical instruments in time to save her worlds?
Design concepts to consider:
• Book size: 6”X9” including front cover, spine and back cover. Spine wide enough for 100,000 words per CreateSpace.com parameters.
• Prefer artist w/ book cover design experience, as there are certain nuances which entice readers pick a book off a shelf and among thumbnails
• An ancient musical instrument The Kura Ocarina (red ocarina) is a key element in this first story, but the book also features two other instruments. The later get a specific focus in the subsequent books:
Book 1's Kura Ocarina
• The Red Ocarina, stolen by Dark Fae, affects (spiritual) energy to carry messages which bridge both worlds. Being used by Dark fae to manipulate human DNA. Lark must find and use it to fix human world. Red clay, painted with vines and flowers.
Book 2's Sacred Pākiri
A drum (tabor or tabret) controls dark glamour? (emotional state) Rhythms control heart or synapses of dark fae, which changes their glamour and emotions. Lark uses the drum to regain her family. Plain, but made with rich-colored, finely polished, woods.
Book 3's Aroha Autangi
A zither/sitar controls elements (physical things). Lark uses it to save the fae world. Aroha means "love" and Autangi means "stringed instrument" in Maori. Lark uses it to balance the natural elements in Delfaerune, which are in upheaval after the Dark Fae's misuse of the other two instruments. Designed with intricate inlaid wood marquetry under triangular strings.
Cover to include:
– Book title, subtitle and author name
– A bit of an edgy look, although this is a sweet, magical story with lots of music
– The feeling of nature, as the story takes place in rural New Zealand (can provide photos), and the characters use trees and animals to help them with their glamour (magic).
– Colors: green, blue, black, silver, perhaps a dash of red
– Either the heroine (Lark) pictured alone, or with the hero (Noel)
– Noel's Dark Fae brother Mikk in the background?
– An image reflected in someone’s eye?
– Some kind of element representing music
– A shadow of a dragon as a backdrop?
– A book blurb
– Publishing company and Web site
– Space for the CreateSpace barcode
COMPACT DISK (CD) COVER
Title: Song of the Ocarina
Subtitle: A soundtrack for Delfaerune Rhapsody Series: Book 1
Genre: Compilation (original works in various genres)
Singer/Songwriter: Ann Narcisian Videan
(there may be additional names to add)
General design concepts to consider:
• Must be adapted from book cover design
• Music files will be MP3 format, but may also be printed on physical CD, so need image that will fit in a CD jewel box, or can be printed on CD sleeve. (4.724 inches square, or 4.974 inches square for "bleeds.")
Delfaerune Rhapsody series synopses:
- Book 1: The Song of The Ocarina
Lark embraces her faerie leadership, learn the sacred music, and save the human world from the dark fairie's musical manipulation to take over the human world
- Book 2: The Beat of the Pākiri (will need design in a year or so)
Lark saves her faerie family from the Dark Faerie's retaliation for ruining their plans.
- Book 3: The Thrum of the Autangi (will need design in a year or so)
Lark saves the faerie world from destruction by the natural disasters caused by the dark faerie's schemes
SONG OF THE OCARINA CHARACTERS
Heroine (Noble fae): Lark Tūrehu (too r-air-who)
Lark is an 18-year-old, 6'5'-tall, green-eyed, silver-white-haired musical prodigy in Queenstown, New Zealand, who doesn't fit in. She discovers she's The Maestra of the Noble fae in Queens'tyn, Zealand where she is part of a leading family (political, not royalty). She is the only one with the musical skills and Earth connection strength to play the three sacred instruments that keep balance between the human and faerie worlds. Familiar - kiwi, "Akiiki". Weapon - spell casting
Hero (Dark fae turned Noble): Noel Stone
Lark's teacher, Noel, is a 20-year-old, 6'7" tall, blue-eyed, long- and black curly-haired, NZ sheep shearer originating from a leading Dark Faerie family. As the Noble Fae's Director of Music, his musical skills and love for Lark drive him to protect her and his adopted Noble Fae world at all costs. Familiar - moa "Shadow" Weapon - spell casting
Heroine's sister (Noble fae): B'rookTūrehu
B'rook is the younger daughter of the Magistrates of Magic and Music in the fae realm of Delfaerune. She and Lark are the only two Noble fae with silver white hair. She is a 17-year-old, 6'2", blue-eyed, gorgeous spell caster (which requires music and a plant connection). She's kind of a wild child, edgy, and very jealous of her sister, who will soon be the realm's Maestra (leading music spellcaster). Familiar = gremlin "Vexi”, Weapon = spell casting
Antagonist, Noel's brother (Dark fae): Mikk Stone
Mikk is a 25-year-old, 6'9'-tall, brown-eyed, long- and black-haired rock drummer, who leads a Dark Fae plot to take over the human realm. He is Noel's older brother. Inspired by a burned out rock star (like Mick Jagger), he wears black leather with silver studs, and loves to party, bang drums, and womanize. His familiar is a dragon "Eddy." Weapon = nunchaku
Mikk's best friend and celebrity rock star, (neutral fae): Axyl Thorne
Axyl is 28 years old, 6'10", green-eyed, gorgeous, athletic, with wavy thick long blond hair, and a vocalist famous among the Dark Fae. Light-skinned with high cheekbones, long eyelashes, angled eyes. Also modeled after a burned-out rock star (like Axl Rose). He's very egotistic, fangirls (and security) follow him almost everywhere, and Lark's sister B'rook falls in love with him. He has a special skill in that he can manipulate stone and earth, even using mute glamour (magic without speaking) by using hand gestures. Animal familiar = fangirls. Weapon = spell casting, esp. rock melding (escape?)